If you're looking for a super easy and quick dessert to make then stop right here. This is one of those desserts where you basically mix everything together, dump it into a pan, and bake it. And, if you don't like cherries, you can do this with whatever kind of pie filling you want.
I happen to love the flavor of almond extract and cherry pie filling, especially together.
Here are some photos going through the process.
This recipe comes from Great American Recipes and I hope you all enjoy:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter - I always use unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 can (21oz.) cherry pie filling
Powdered sugar for dusting when finished
You can also switch out cherry pie filling for blueberry or another kind of pie filling if you like. I've done blueberry pie filling with vanilla extract and it is equally delicious.
1. Using a stand mixture, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix until light and fluffy.
2. Add almond extract. Stir in flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
3. Grease a 13x9 inch pan, you can either butter the pan or use spray.
4. Pour the mixture into the greased pan.
5. Spoon the pie filling over the mixture making 16 spots of pie filling, try to space them evenly.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. The filling will sink into the cake as it bakes.
7. Dust with powdered sugar if wanted.
8. I recommend serving warm and possibly with whipped cream if you're into that.